N D RE AN

BUILDING THE FUTURE

Painting Sine McDonald 88 and Rob Satey 89

THE AN D RE AN

In thiA MA/IP...

o

8

a,

to

■0

s

THE ANDREAN is published by St. Andrew's College, for alumni, parents and friends of the School.

Editor:

Jim Herder '64

Editorial Committee: Edna J. Collins James McGillivray David L. Rea '53 Michael D. Roy '85 Ken Ryan Sandra L. Scott

7b contact us:

PHONE

905.727.3178

FAX 905.841.6911

E-MAI L alumni@sac.on.ca

WEB SITE www.sac.on.ca

To those of us on the 'inside' at St. Andrew's today, much has been written and talked about in the creation of two major events upcoming for the College.

One is the "double cohort" issue, the provincially-mandated elimination of grade thirteen by June 2003; the other is the School's ambitious twenty-year Campus Master Plan.

The double cohort, or as we prefer to call it, "Countdown to '03", will be covered in detail in the fall edition of The Andrean. As you can imagine, graduating two classes simultaneously in June '03 is unprecedented in School history and requires a tremendous amount of planning much of which has already been done.

In this issue we are delighted to bring you up to date with our Campus Master Plan. Andrean writer and piper extraordinaire, Jim McGillivray, interviews the Headmaster and gives the reader a sense of what has transpired strategically in the past two years leading to our plan for the future.

The Campus Master Plan will see St. Andrew's strengthen our strengths, address our weaknesses and emerge at the end of it as the premier boys' boarding/day school in Canada.

On the cover of The Andrean we feature an oil painting of the campus by Steve McDonald '88 and Rob Saley '89, a gift of the artists for the School's Centennial Art Show.

Also in this issue are profiles of Mac Frost '40, Mike Brewer '88 and Philip Henderson 78, three Old Boys at different stages in their careers but each one clearly a leader in his field.

We welcome the latest faculty members of St. Andrew's, each of whom will further strengthen the education offered the young men at the College.

Last spring generous donations from Old Boys, parents and friends resulted in over $500,000 being raised to help fund the $650,000 total renovation and rejuvenation of our much-revered Flavelle House. A very special evening of celebration was held last fall on the occasion of its re-dedication.

Our other regular features are also included. Please be sure to register 'on line' at www.sac.on.ca and click on the alumni tab. Also check the web site regularly for news of your old School it's fast, easy and free!

Jim Herder '64 Editor

You can contact us world-wide through e-mail. Please note the following addresses:

alumni@sac.on.ca admission@sac.on.ca

Photo Credits: School Archives, Randi Berman, The Review. Grant Fraser, Golf Business Canada; Joe Giblin, Brown University; Jim Herder '64, 'J.S.' Jackson '69, Wes Johnson, The Message; Jostens Canada Limited; Paul Mellor Photographer; Michael Roy '85; Ken Ryan; and Lu Taskey.

Campus Master Plan:

heralding an unprecedejzted era of revitalizqlicm

to

I n the history of St. Andrew's College, we look back on 1899 as the year of creation, 1926 as a momentous era of relocation to Aurora, and on 1962, 1972 and 1979 as times of great physical expansion. Chances are, the years from 2001 onward, as envisioned in the current twenty-year 'Campus Master Plan', will hold similar importance to future S.A.C. historians as landmark years of revitalization.

"The time has come once again to rejuvenate our buildings," says Headmaster and prime motivator Ted Staunton, "so that St. Andrew's College can maintain its pre-eminent standing among independent schools in Canada."

And what a rejuvenation it will be: the twenty-year Campus Master Plan has defined the need for a new Middle School, a completely revamped Ketchum Auditorium, a spacious central Atrium, new art and music facilities, a second major gymnasium, reconfiguration of McLaughlin Hall, Great Hall renovations, possibly an on-campus arena and countless improvements to the grounds and other buildings. As Board of Governors Chairman Brian Armstrong said at a recent meeting, "It will be an undertaking the magnitude of which the school has not experienced since 1926."

This comes hot on the heels of $2 million of major summer renovations over the last three years to Macdonald, Memorial and Flavelle Houses and a complete rebuilding of the Towers Library at a cost of nearly one-half a million dollars.

Headmaster Ted Staunton's vision for St. Andrew's includes a twenty-year Campus Master Plan which will address many of the areas in need of improvement on the 75-year-old Aurora campus.

When it is all finished St. Andrew's College will undoubtedly rank at or near the top of all independent schools as having one of the most beautiful and functional campuses and facilities in North America.

"The goal is balance and keeping pace," says Ted as he ruminates on the impetus behind such sweeping changes. "This is an age where parents want their boys educated in an all-round Renaissance fashion. Society demands a more varied skill set than ever before, no longer just science or athletics or arts, but an equal mix of all. We must be much more than two-dimensional. Parents want their sons to be well-rounded, and that is what we as an institution promise, encourage and must deliver."

"The school needs to change and evolve to keep pace with these new demands, and it became clear to the Board, the management team and to me in recent years that some pretty major physical alterations need to be made for this to happen."

Ted cites the building of a stand-alone Middle School a "school within a school" as the most obvious example. It responds directly to the recent addition of Grade 6 and the phasing out of Grade 13 due to occur in 2003. Located at the north end of the campus roughly where the Tuck Shop now stands, the 7-elassroom structure will respond to a number of important needs in the Grades 6-8 age group. It will cater to a curriculum where students spend a

B

o

8

a «

to

ID

5v

The Campus Master Plan will address many of the needs of these young men as they progress through the St. Andrew's of the 21st century.

large proportion of their day in core classrooms. It will be located near a new north entrance to the school, allowing for easier drop-off and pick-up of day students. It will contain its own gymnasium. Perhaps most importantly, it will give the younger students a chance to operate primarily within their own peer group, though the demands and advantages of a looming Upper School career will not be out of sight. In addition, the number of new classrooms offered in the Middle School building will ease the strain on teaching space throughout the school.

This theme of one structure offering solutions or partial solutions to a number of different problems is a common one throughout the whole Campus Master Plan, and reflects a long and careful process of study, thought and planning.

It began shortly after the arrival of the new Headmaster in 1997 with a commitment to create a long-range strategic plan. This plan would break the traditional planning mould common to this and similar institutions of addressing problems and new projects one at a time initiating, planning, fundraising and executing, before moving on to the next. It was based on the philosophy of creating small task forces of concerned Andreans, who would study problems with the help of outside consultants and then create action plans that would reach far into the future 20 years or more.

One of these working groups was the Facilities Task Force, which determined in a 1999 report, that

the current enrollment of 515 students puts severe strain on a number of important educational components, including:

classrooms, most of which were built in the 1960s and 1970s;

Ketchum Auditorium, a well used but tired old workhorse that seats only two-thirds of the school;

specialty disciplines such as art, music and drama, all of which are housed in spaces that don't meet their needs;

the original 1926 Dunlap Gymnasium, which barely fills the needs of a Middle School basketball court;

science labs, which are outdated by today's new curriculum standards;

the day boy houses, which have disappeared and resurfaced as computer labs and office spaces; and

meeting places for staff and students. Once these and other issues

were defined, the Board repeated a process undertaken by its predecessor in 1920: selecting an architectural firm. After hearing presentations from several leading architects, the Board selected the Toronto firm of Kuwabara, Payne, McKenna and Blumberg to submit a Campus Master Plan that would address all facility deficiencies with a comprehensive and cohesive long-term plan. Completed in January 2000, the document outlined a phased facility and landscape plan that would be implemented over the next 20 years. In addition to the Middle School building described above, the plan includes:

An Atrium

Created in what is currently the open courtyard between Coulter Hall and the Dunlap Gym, this enclosed space will become the heart and focal point of the campus. Brightly sky-lit and spacious, it will provide a gathering place for the boys and production space for drama and music. Linked by the principal entrance points the boys' entry to the south and the new Middle School entry to the north the Atrium will ease current bottlenecks of movement and allow for easy transit throughout the College.

Ketchum Renovations

A major overhaul to this outdated 1962 structure will create a mezzanine and a vibrant location where the entire school can meet. The addition of a crossover, side stage and workshop will provide a space that will function superbly for the wide range of excellent theatre, music and debating programs currently offered at the school.

Dunlap Art Facilities "Light-filled studios"

The original gymnasium in Dunlap Hall is obsolete for our current athletics program and the space has been identified in our Campus Master Plan as having a much more effective use. This open area lends itself perfectly to conversion into a home for the visual arts, now dispersed in a number of make-do locations throughout the school. Two new art rooms senior and junior will be fashioned as sky-lit studios. They will include

CAMPUS MASTER PLA^

s

0 8

a

5^ to

s

specialized spaces for print-making, sculpture, ceramics, computer graphics and photography, with a view to converting an already bustling program into one with a clearly defined visual identity.

Opening onto the adjacent new Atrium, where art display space is already planned, these inspiring new studios will feature additional exhibition areas where the works of students and others can be shown to best effect, thus showcasing talents that might otherwise might go unnoticed. This will be the flagship project in an effort to raise the standing of the arts at St. Andrew's College.

Strategic initiatives for the College include emphasizing our already strong traditions. The piping program has become a 'Centre of Excellence' in the past few years under the careful guidance of world-champion piper Jim McGillivray.

!<■■■

; \ ' \_. p i Mil

in another e

One has to marvel at the courage of the Board of Governors and Headmaster Dr. Macdonald when they decided in 1926 to move the thriving young St. Andrew's College north to Aurora. For years, they had put up with cramped classrooms, a tiny kitchen and a lack of playing fields at Knox College, the school's temporary home during the First World War. But now, even the move back to their beloved Rosedale campus did not satisfy the school's facility needs.

As well, the City of Toronto was just too full of distractions for the highly conservative Headmaster, who longed for a more secluded environment in which to educate young boys. Disruptive radio sets kept the dormitories active well after lights out; noisy motor cars disrupted classes and racy picture shows tempted boarders to break curfew. It was clear: for education to continue at a high level, a new campus had to be acquired.

A 135-acre site in distant York Mills appealed to the Board, but Dr. Macdonald's contended correctly that St. Andrew's College was first and foremost a boarding school, and that a campus in a more rural setting was essential to success. The persuasive Headmaster swayed the Board, already made uneasy by the exorbitant estimate of $887,000 for new buildings in York Mills.

As an alternative, two extensive farms with a combined total of 219 acres had been found located in the sleepy township of Aurora, and it was this site that provided the kind of seclusion Dr. Macdonald sought for his boarding school. Unfortunately, it had considerable frontage on the main thoroughfare of Yonge St. which had the worrisome potential of luring traffic from Toronto. Nonetheless, abundant level fields for the playing of sports and an ideal rise of land, set back from the highway and perfect for

'*-.».

large school buildings, made the decision an easy one for the eager Board of Governors. The purchase price of $23,000 also made economic sense.

An architectural competition for the design of the new St. Andrew's College was hastily organized and after significant controversy, the firm of Marani & Paisley won the contract. Their winning plan of Georgian-styled buildings that surrounded a magnificent quadrangle was by far the most charming and dignified. "Dr. Mac's" house, situated at the southern end of the quad, commanded a view of the entire group of buildings as well as the entrance to the grounds obviously designed to eliminate any ill-considered escapades on the part of the boarders!

The new St. Andrew's was officially opened by the Governor-General, Lord Willingdon, on November 18, 1926. The buildings, as described by the editor of the 1924 Bulletin, a publication of the S.A.C. Old Boys' Association, were "perfectly designed for their purpose with nothing wanting, nothing superfluous, induced a sense of timeless calm". The writer continued:

"Old Boys will foregather at the new school in droves for week-ends to revel in the accommodation and relax and inhale the 100% efficient ozone of the country after the week's strenuous work. Not only will those who are Old Boys at present find rest, inspiration and a feeling of pride in the new home of their Alma Mater, but also those who will be fortunate enough to attend this national institution in the generations to come."

Indeed, we who are "fortunate enough" to be part of this "national institution" almost exactly 75 years later are grateful for the industrious foresight of our predecessors.

Ted Staunton

McLaughlin Hall upgrade

The science wing is now nearly 25 years old and requires upgrading to meet the needs of the modern curriculum that includes new 'hands-on' teaching methods and

s

o

s

CD

'Andy' remains a symbol of strength and tradition at the entry to the campus. The statue was moved from the original School buildings in 1926.

robotics. This will require some classroom renovation and a substantial reconfiguration of the laboratories.

These are the major projects, but innumerably smaller though far from small improvements will be undertaken campus-wide. These will include a reorientation of roads, improved parking, pedestrian-only walkways, recreation areas behind the Upper School residences, new tennis courts, a new track, landscape upgrades, Great Hall renovations and the addition of an arena.

Timing issues are still to be determined, but completion of the new Middle School in the fall of 2003 when Grade 13 is officially phased out seems to be a suitable target, with at least the Ketchum renovation running concurrently. "It makes sense," says Ted, "that we minimize disruptions by accomplishing as much as possible at one time."

"It also seems appropriate to do all we can on the crest of the huge wave of support that is building among Board members, parents, alumni, friends and the staff of the School. When you think of how often we tell our students to take anything they do and do it well, we'd best approach this undertaking as if it were an example we're setting for them, which in many ways it is."

Ted points out that support among the Board of Governors and staff was immediate as soon as deficiencies had been pointed out. "These plans were music to many ears," he recalls. "Out of the various working groups, clear patterns began to emerge as to where improvements needed to be made in the institution as a whole if we were to provide the balanced education demanded in the twenty-first century. More and more these patterns pointed to problems with facilities."

"We have some tremendous educators here on tremendous teams working through state-of-the-art curricula with tremendous enthusiasm. It's absolutely crucial

lookinai f

It has not gone unnoticed during this time of proposed expansion that two related events took place on significant anniversaries in the life of St. Andrew's College:

100 Years Ago— 1900-1901

The College survived its first year of existence, but there was a new man at the helm. Upon the retirement of founding Headmaster Dr. George Bruce, Dr. D. Bruce Macdonald was appointed Headmaster. It was a post he would hold for 35 years, and he would follow it with service to the Board of Governors from 1936 to 1947, the last 9 as chairman. Thus, he would reign over nearly a half-century of unprecedented growth and prosperity at the school including the inspired move to Aurora and would be remembered today as the undisputed forefather of the modern St. Andrew's College.

75 Years Ago— 1925-26

From the Mid-Summer Review

"This was a year of conflicting emotions. It was the final year in Rosedale. For 20 years the building has been the cradle of a host of memories and traditions for an ever-widening circle of boys. Every room, every corner of the grounds is a treasure-house of now on youngest amongst us must have felt the importance and dignity of the occasion when the cornerstone was laid. What was once only a far away dream and a standing joke among the boys has at last become a reality, and, far from being a joke, is one of the proudest things in our lives. The school in Aurora in nearing completion. In honour of the laying of the cornerstone, we received a half-holiday from the arduous task of studying, and early in the afternoon startled the inhabitants of Aurora with the stirring music of our bagpipes as we marched through town. "

THE BULLETIN

Official Publication of the

ST. ANDREWS COLLEGE OLD BOYS' ASSOCIATION

VOL. II NO *

S

o

a

Co

^3

<3

The Jvjew St. Andrew's College Aurora, Ontario

Seventy-five years after the publication of The Bulletin (a predecessor of The Andrean) the School is again looking at major improvement plans.

that departments be allowed and encouraged to work together physically as well as philosophically in facilities and conditions that measure up to their high academic standards. This is fundamental to the operation of a respected and trend-setting independent school."

With plans firming up almost daily, staff are preparing to move into high gear with detailed planning. Similar to a time in 1924 when the Board of Governors reached agreement with Architects Marani and Paisley on their plan for new school buildings in Aurora, excitement is building within the current Andrean community for the proposed new facilities. "The beautiful campus designed with a clear vision in the 1920s provides compelling inspiration and a continuing strategy for planning and building," says Ted. "The opportunity to enhance our memorable grounds has arrived at a perfect time of extraordinary change in education in Ontario. It's a perfect time of strength in all facets of the school's program and faculty. And we're in an era when the loyalty and strength of the world-wide Andrean community have never been stronger."

Piping at

St. Andrew's

College

v_OnSICJ6r a school for your son where the Great Highland Bagpipe is at the forefront of musical instruments and extra-curricular activities. A school where serious pipers can

receive an unparalleled education,

unparalleled pipe teaching and an academic credit for their piping achievements.

A university preparatory school for boys, St. Andrew's College offers piping at all levels for academic credit as part of the school's music program. Courses of study are directed and taught by world-renowned performer and instructor Jim McGillivray, winner of the Highland Society of London's Gold Medals at Oban and Inverness, Scotland.

For more information about piping at

St. Andrew's College, pledSe COfltaCt

Mr. McGillivray, or the Admission Department.

St. Andrew's College 1 5800 Yonge Street Aurora, Ontario, Canada L4G 3H7

Mr. McGillivray 905.727.3178, ext 243

Admission

(toll-free) 1.877.378.1899

St Andrew'i Welcomed...

Joining the faculty in 2000, these new Andreans are part of the balanced St. Andrew's group which both bustles with vitality and renewal and remains anchored in experience and tradition.

Randi Berman

Randi joins the Middle School staff as a teacher of Visual Arts and Geography. She was born in Montreal, graduating from West Island College and moving on to Vanier College where she received her diploma in Creative Arts. Four subsequent years at the Ontario College of Art in Toronto earned her a diploma in Communication and Design, and the Dorothy Hoover Research Scholarship. She brings business experience to the position, having worked as a production manager and graphic designer for Athletic Knit. She is fluently bilingual and has superb computer skills both great assets to the school. Randi will use her ample Graphic Arts skill as she takes over compilation and production of The Review.

Randi and her husband Richard live in Newmarket with their three-year- old daughter.

V

A<& ' "^

(l-r) Adam Lebar M.V.P., Andy Dalrymple M.I. P. and Chad Davis M.V.P. of Under 12 soccer tournament champions with their coach Carrie Hughes-McGuinness, who joined the faculty in September.

Carrie Hughes-McGuiness

Carrie knows St. Andrew's well, having taught at Trafalgar Castle in Whitby for five years. She was Head of Drama and was instrumental in that school's musical productions, drama society, murder mystery dinner, one-act play night and entry to the Canadian Independent School's Drama Festival. She also coached soccer and gymnastics.

Carrie graduated from the University of Western Ontario with a B.A. in English and Drama, then received her B.Ed, from Queen's University in Kingston. She followed that up with an English Specialist certificate from O.I.S.E. in 1997.

She joins the Middle School as a Language Arts and English teacher and lives on campus with her husband, Jeff.

Robyn O'Hare

St. Andrew's College may well have prevented Robyn from becoming a 'lifer' at Bishop Strachan School, where she spent 12 years as a student, graduating as a prefect, and an additional year as a tutor and a teaching assistant.

After B.S.S., she earned an Honours B.Sc. at Queen's University with a major in biology, writing her thesis on two months of demanding field study in avian behaviour. She recently graduated with her B.Ed, from the University of Toronto, where she was awarded the Louden Memorial Entrance Scholarship in Science. Her biology degree was useful during time she spent working as a researcher for the World Wildlife Fund Canada, and much of her work there concerned endangered or injured migratory birds. Her passion for tennis served her well during five years as a tennis coach at Upper Canada College's Summer Camp. Bird watching and wildlife rehabilitation still consume much of her interest.

Robyn joins the Middle School faculty as a mathematics and science teacher and lives on campus with her husband Ron, who works at the school as an Physical Therapist.

Greg Reid

Greg comes to S.A.C. as Athletic Director, replacing Paul Bedard, who has returned to the classroom. Greg spent the last three years as Department Head, Health and Physical Education, at nearby King City Secondary School, where he was also staff advisor to the Student Athletic Council.

He graduated from Queen's University with a B.A. in Geography and a Bachelor of Physical and Health Education and a B.Ed in Physical and Health Education and History. He subsequently earned his Honours Specialist certification in the P.H.E. from the University of Toronto in 1995.

The Cadet program will benefit from Greg's arrival. He is a retired Squadron Sergeant Major with the Canadian Forces Primary Reserve, and has spent the last five summers as a Program Director at Camp Robin Hood, a large day camp in Markham.

He was Head Coach of York University's Men's Varsity Lacrosse Team from 1992 to 1999, and can also coach hockey, volleyball, basketball and football.

He and wife Chryssi and sons Bowen and Brayden live in Newmarket.

CO -5

do 8

O

Michael Ruscitti

Michael taught most of the core subjects during five years as a Middle School teacher in Alberta. During this tenure he was selected to be part of a school district technology team assisting teachers with classroom practices. He was also a Math Facilitator for his district.

He joins the school as a Middle and Upper School Math teacher. He can also coach volleyball, soccer, basketball and track and field.

He graduated from Queen's University with his B.A. and B.Ed, in Junior/Intermediate Science and Math.

He and his girlfriend Sarah live in Toronto.

Flavelle Rejuvenation Bringi Together

■MMIM

1

l\lot since the day it opened has Flavelle House looked as good as it did during a re-dedication ceremony last September 20. The event celebrated the completion last summer of the most recent in a series of renovation projects designed to upgrade the boarding houses.

LAVELLE HOVSE

^

x>Ns

:%V

Vv^

■. ^|V

!

1

On the inside of the House, every room was completely renovated to suit needs of young men in the twenty-first century. Outside, new roof, copper evestroughs and all new windows are features of the $650,000 rebuilding of the residence first opened in 1926.

i

,*^*5-*

Originally opened in 1926 during the College's move to Aurora, the building was named to honour one of the school's greatest benefactors, Canadian magnate Sir Joseph Flavelle, Bart. Time had come to modernize, and the renovation did just that, retaining the magnificence of the architecture while substantially upgrading the boys' living quarters.

Every room had recessed lighting installed into a lowered ceiling. The rooms also received new wiring and windows, and custom-designed

furniture. These efforts, along with new cork board walls and new carpets, have rejuvenated the rooms and added a much needed level of warmth and comfort.

On the main floor, oak panelling defines the entrance to a new lounge where the boys can enjoy their recreational time. A beautiful photograph of Sir Joseph holds court in the lobby, with the school's permanent art collection now spreading throughout the House. Construction was topped off with a new slate roof.

The re-dedication event brought together many of the special donors who in total contributed $500,000 to fund the renovation. In addition five former Flavelle Housemasters Courtney Stoate, Stan Macfarlane, Derek Inglis, David Timms and Aubrey Foy joined current Housemaster Courtenay Shrimpton for a memorable photo. All were treated to a tour, with major contributors being shown their "own" rooms, which are adorned with plaques giving their names as a permanent reminder of the importance of philanthropy to the ongoing success of St. Andrew's College.

Flavelle Housemasters gathered to celebrate the re-dedication of the House with special guests who made the major renovation project possible, (l-r) Aubrey Foy, 1983-99; Derek Inglis, 1970-73; Stan Macfarlane, 1950-61; Courtney Stoate, 1963-70; David Timms, 1973-83, and Courtenay Shrimpton who took over the Housemaster's role in 1999.

Courage & Conviction

10

05

o

When you get into your upper seventies, you can be forgiven for slowing down and taking it easy. Mac Frost of the Spring Lakes Golf Club, north of Toronto, isn't able to relate to that. At 78, he is poised to open yet another golf facility and shows no signs of retiring.

More than half a century after getting into the golf business, "getting it right" is still an everyday passion for Mac. He has seen the game grow from a leisure activity enjoyed by a handful of affluent private club members to an economic engine responsible for dozens of golf courses and real estate developments in the greater Toronto area, serving hundreds of thousands of players.

Today Mac Frost has the unusual niche of being the private owner of a members-only golf club. He has seen a lot and done much over the years, and in the accompanying interview, he explains his philosophy and view of the golf industry. First and foremost, Mac Frost has had a talent for being in the right place at the right time, ready for his next "lucky" break.

"My father always said it's better to be lucky than good," Mac says. "Fortunately, we started at the growth of golf and real estate. At every step along the way we were able to build and operate without ever going into debt. Operating costs are easier to manage without servicing a debt."

It sounds very much like a case of making your own lucky breaks. Mac Frost, however doesn't give you the impression that he was a visionary who predicted a massive explosion in the game of golf over the last 55 years. He will admit that there was no "master plan" to select just the right piece of property that would attract hordes of corporate dollars as well as the high-end casual player.

G. Mac Frost '40 at the re-dedication of Flavelle House in September 2000

No, there was just Mac, christened George by his parents who also gave him principles, his values, common sense and a humble ambition: "I wanted to be successful in the golf business, but 1 did not want to be the richest man in the graveyard," is how he puts it.

What he did become was a successful operator of all types of golf courses, an administrator in

numerous golf associations, and an authority on turf management. His wife Beth, a recognized international flower show judge, helped organize the World Flower Show exhibition when it was held in Toronto.

The Frost Business Model

The Great Depression molded the lives and values of everyone who endured it. When you start with nothing, everything you work for and achieve has special value. All the old adages, consistently applied, pay dividends. This is not a get-rich-quick business. Mac nurtured his original investment the old-fashioned way, by developing value at each step along the track.

When the time was right and the opportunity was there, he cashed in and moved to the next level. At each

11

o Ik

S

O

o

k. s o

new venture, the overriding concern was to ensure the business would support the investment. That's not to say that Mac didn't incur debt along the way. But judicious planning meant that each facility was built to suit the market he was after. Easy to say, but with today's increased expectations, the temptation to build bigger and better is more difficult to resist.

In Mac's mind, value is the key to a happy golfer and a satisfied owner.

"It makes no sense to have a happy player who crows about his low cost per round while the owner resents the impact on the other members who are in effect subsidizing his play," Mac says. Thus the concept of "user pay."

But you say: "every public golf course is user pay." Which they are. However, public access means relinquishing control in so many ways. Casual players, new players and tournament players are miles apart from the avid player who generally feels that golf is a rhythm best accomplished in a four hour period. The avid player needs easier access to tee times when his time permits. Membership carries responsibilities and is rewarded with pride and satisfaction.

"You can talk to a member, but the public doesn't listen," says Mac. "How often do we see situations where the green fee player feels that his paid ticket is his right to

ownership for a day or the private club member who feels he runs the club?"

The Early Years

A grocer's son, raised in the depression years of the 1930's, Mac graduated from St. Andrew's College in Aurora, Ontario as war was breaking out and went on to McGill University in Montreal. After two years, however, Mac felt the call of duty for King and Country. He joined his friends and enlisted in the R.CA.F. and served three hazardous years overseas in Coastal Command as pilot of a Sunderland flying boat.

In 1946, freshly out of the air force, Mac was ready for a new career. He found it at Cedarbrae Golf Club. Established as a private club in 1922, it had fallen upon hard times during the war years. It was a Scarborough area club "out in the country," at a time when transportation was limited by gas rationing.

Mac was determined to make good use of his accumulated gratuity pay

from the service. His father had retired from the grocery business and the two along with his cousin, Art Bamford, rescued the Stanley Thompson designed course from bankruptcy, complete with clubhouse for $25,000.

"It was a lucky break, I had no idea that the post-war boom was ready to start," Mac remembers.

After eight years running the facility, the new post-war economy had fuelled an exciting building boom and lifestyles began to change. The Toronto suburbs had started to mushroom and Don Mills was created to provide housing and factory sites. Plazas had sprung up to service the residents and in 1954, Cedarbrae was sold for $700,000 to become a shopping plaza of the same name in the heart of Scarborough. Talk about being in the right place at the right time.

Looking for new acres to conquer, Mac moved farther out to the Markham area and built the new Cedarbrae without going into debt. With the amenities and new layout,

12

o u

<8

Cedarbrae was host to the Miller Bursary tournament which was the largest and most lucrative area event for aspiring professionals including a young George Knudson who became one of Canada's most successful pros.

By I960, the threesome of Mac, his father and Art Bamford, had formed Golf Leaseholds Ltd. and had built Parkview Golf Club across the road, now a 36-hole facility.

"Boy they've dumped more responsibilities into my lap," Mac says he remembers thinking at the time. Parkview developed a solid reputation over the years as an "everyman's" golf course. Reasonable green fees on a good, well-kept layout with satisfying food service, kept the course busy as more and more people took up golf. The baby- boomers were maturing, out to work or finishing their schooling and their mobile lifestyle was leading them to golf. By 1968, Arnold Palmer was at the peak of his career. His colorful personality and the competition with his talented younger rival Jack Nicklaus were a TV attraction which attracted thousands of new players to the game. And in 1969, the Frosts

opened Brookwood now called Brookside, a 27-hole course down the street, selling Cedarbrae to its members.

Throughout this busy period, Mac began his involvement in Association work. In 1958 he joined the Canadian Club Managers Association serving as Ontario President in 1966. He has been a member of the Canadian and Ontario Golf Course Superintendents Associations since 1967. This was the conduit for a life-long interest in turfgrass management and the emerging importance of the ecological approach to research and practices for the industry. He has also served on the boards of provincial and national golf associations.

New Directions

After 14 years operating private clubs and 14 years of operating public access golf clubs, Mac could see a divergence in the way golf was heading. Private clubs were still the domain of the well-off player or status seeker with entrance fees of $10,000 or more to join. Public courses were now very crowded. The more avid golfer was having a

difficult time competing for space and time as a member of a semi- private facility. Prices were starting to edge up as the demand for better facilities required more maintenance. The greater Toronto area had been continuing its relentless growth and local real estate costs reflected this demand.

In 1974 Mac purchased 300 acres of land in StoufMle, about a half-hour from the growing market. "We opened Spring Lakes 18 holes in 1977 with a 1,500-square foot pro shop/snack bar built from old trailers and a different concept." It was here that Mac would apply 30 years of experience and implement strategies based on his principles, philosophy and business acumen.

Spring Lakes is that rare example of a privately-owned golf club for members only. There are no committees of members. The rules set at Spring Lakes are simple in nature to benefit the expectations of all the members and to ensure the continuing operating success of the Club. The club is open for play on May 1 and closes on October 31. There are no outside corporate tournaments. If you agree with this

8

O

o

a

o

13

o

ft,

(J

<5

R

O

R

O

to

R O

concept and other operating rules, you are invited to join. If you don't abide by the rules, your membership is not renewed. The club grew to 36 holes within three years and to 54 holes by 1983. Currently, there is a long waiting list (enough to fill two clubs) to join. At the current rate of turnover, some may never get in.

Spring Lakes is a "Championship Layout" designed by Rene Mulyaert and has always provided a stiff challenge for the many provincial and national tournaments it has hosted over the years. A true players' club, the blending and maturing of the three layouts have stood the test of time.

Getting The Job Done

The pro shop, without tournaments or reserved tee times, can easily be handled by a single staff member. The Head Pro organizes and runs all club events and provides teaching on the extensive range. Employees share in the profits. Mac sets aside a pool of five per cent of the club's profits and this bonus is paid to all employees with at least one year's service, based on their wages. The more important a position is, the more opportunity they have to affect the outcome.

There is enough land on the site to build two more courses when the need arises. Offers to purchase from those without a background in golf course management are not entertained. Any feeling Mac gets that prospective owners would not preserve the principles which protect the members, terminates negotiations.

Mac gives substantial credit for his success to his wife Beth, who has worked hard in the business and shared management responsibilities from the beginning.

On May 7, 1957 the club